Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What are the typical demographics of your tour groups?  

Most of our travelers are over 55 years old, a mix of men and women, some singles and some couples.  Many are from Boulder County (CO), are very highly educated and have traveled internationally before.

Q: Can I meet the group in Florida, or do we fly together from Denver?

A: Yes!  Air travel to Cuba changes often.  Contact us to find out exactly what flights most of the group is using for arrivals and departures of Cuba, and you can book your flights so they match up. But you can join us from anywhere in the U.S.

Q: Are visas required?  Do you take care of any special travel permissions or documents beyond a current passport? 

A: You only need your passport (with two blank pages for customs), valid 6 months beyond the date of the trip to travel with Viva Cuba. Check out the U.S. Dept. of State website for more details. We will secure the US license for each traveler, the Cuban required emergency health insurance and the Cuban visa.  We make it easy.

Q: Are vaccinations required for travel to Cuba?

A: The Cuban government has no requirements regarding vaccinations.  In general, most travelers to Cuba don’t get any vaccines aside from their routine vaccines (like tetanus). You and your doctor should make that decision.  Check out the CDC website for their recommendations.

Q:  There are 12 OFAC Guidelines for legal travel to Cuba.  Which one applies for Viva Cuba travelers?

A: Following the United States regulations is very important to us at Viva Cuba, we carefully design our tours in accordance with these.  The Sanctions on Travel to Cuba changed in  November 2017,  and our tours are in accordance with Support for the Cuban People. This regulation states, “In accordance with the NSPM, OFAC is requiring that each traveler under this
travel category engage in a full-time schedule of activities that result in
meaningful interaction with individuals in Cuba. Such activities must also
enhance contact with the Cuban people, support civil society in Cuba, or promote
the Cuban people’s independence from Cuban authorities. Renting a room in a
private Cuban residence (casa particular), eating at privately owned Cuban
restaurants (paladares), and shopping at privately owned stores run by self-employed
Cubans (cuentapropistas) are examples of authorized activities;
however, in order to meet the requirement of a full-time schedule, a traveler must
engage in additional authorized Support for the Cuban People activities.” (

Q: What should I know about COVID regulations?

A: This changes frequently, but these resources should have the most up-to-date information about testing requirements and proof of vaccination:

Q: Do we all stay at the same lodging?

A: Since we stay in Bed & Breakfasts (casa particulares), we are often divided into smaller lodgings, most with 2+ guest rooms.  They located near each other, so it’s easy to walk from one to another.  If you are a single traveler, we will be sure you are not the only guest staying at a B&B.

Q: I don’t live in Colorado.  Is there any way to participate in the Curious About Cuba seminars remotely? 

A: Yes! The classes are designed to help you understand Cuba better while you are there.  We have had guests from out of state and I send them the outline and lots of links, including a book list.  The instruction is also found on our YouTube Channel. There’s a great movie/book list provided as well.  The movie, “The Lost City” with Andy Garcia is a favorite!

Q: Can you give me references? I’d like to talk to others who have been on your trips before.

Absolutely.  Contact us for referrals.

Q: I have more questions.  How can I reach you?

Feel free to email your questions to or call Jenny at 303-775-3131. We look forward to talking with you!